Protect your home and loved ones this season with fire and security systems from Oxford’s largest independent installer
Burglaries surge after the clocks go back. Chris Lewis Fire and Security have some top tips to keep your home safe over the coming months.
Data shows that theft insurance claims increase by around 38%* once British Summer Time ends. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help prevent being part of this statistic and a victim of crime.
- Burglars don’t tend to target homes that are occupied so use timers for lights and turn radios on if you are out of the house overnight.
- Always draw your curtains at night and make sure valuable items cannot be easily seen from outside.
- Visible burglar alarms and security lighting are great deterrents – just make sure your alarms are switched on when you’re out and your security lights don’t disturb your neighbours.
- Get a professional maintenance check and test your security lighting, motion sensors or CCTV cameras on a regular basis. Bad weather can damage outdoor equipment, and you may not notice until it’s too late.
- Remember, if a burglar does get into your home then handbags, wallets, and house or car keys are obvious targets. Don’t leave them in a prominent position such as at the bottom of the stairs, and keep your keys safely out of sight.
- Make sure garden tools, ladders or anything else that could be used to break into your home are not left lying around. Garden walls, fencing, trees and shrubs may all help a thief break in without being seen.
- Chain-link fencing, trellises and prickly shrubs all help deter burglars.
- UPVC doors must be fitted with a three-point multi-locking system, while patio doors should be fitted with top and bottom key-operated bolts.
- Neighbourhood Watch and other ‘watch’ schemes are an excellent way for communities to fight burglary. You’ll find some home insurance policies give you a discount if you live in a Neighbourhood Watch area.
- Unfortunately elderly people can be vulnerable, so consider getting elderly relatives a personal alarm.
When the nights draw in it’s more important than ever to make sure your home is properly secure. If you want to relax over winter, take our advice and follow these tips to protect your home this winter.
If you would like to find out anymore about the products mentioned here or how we can help you protect your home this winter, please get in touch today
*Statistic from data collected by the Co-operative Insurance Group.